Doughnut is a type of snacks that is consumed by both children and adults. It is low in sugar content, which could be in ring shape or ball shape. It is a product from dough pastry; which consits of strong flour, water, sugar, salt and yeast. these are kneaded together to the required consistency at a suitable temperature.
When proving takes place, the yeast produces carbon dioxide(CO2) and water (H2O) which aerates the dough. When it is cooked, it produces a light digestible product with flavour and colour, no colorant is added to doughnut.
Requirement for Preparation
- Medium egg
- Vegetable oil
- Jam (optional)
Sieve the flour into a bowl, add all the dried ingredients, mix properly the egg and the margarine, make a well in the middle of the mixture and add the water, knead very well to form a soft slack doughnut. Knead until it is smooth and free from.
Allow to rest for a while, knead again and cut into 20, roll it under your palm firmly and set in a tray to prove. Meanwhile, allow space for each dough and leave it to double in size and fry in hot oil. While frying, do not allow your frying oil to be too hot for a good
NOTE: When making jam doughnut, pierce the doughnut with a straw and insert the jam as required.
Possible reasons for faults when using yeast:
1. Close texture;
a. insufficiently proved, b. insufficiently kneaded, c. insufficient yeast, d. too much or insufficient water.
2. Uneven texture;
a. insufficient kneading, b. over-proving
3. Coarse texture
a. over-proved, b. insufficient kneading, c. too much water, d. too much salt
a. over-proved, b. sour, c. stale yeast, d. too much yeast.
Points to Remember
* Yeast should not be kept in the refrigerator, it is used at room temperature
* Check all ingredients are weighed carefully
* Work in a clean and tidy way to avoid gross contamination
* the volume of water absorbed by flour also varies according to the strength
* Keep the flour, bowl and liquid warm
* Remember to knock the dough back carefully once proved, to expel the gas and allow the greater dispersion of the yeast
* Proving allows the flour to ferment
* Time and temperature are crucial when cooking doughnut products.
* Do not store in a refrigerator otherwise it stales quickly
* Always store in suitable containers at room temperature
* It can be packaged in air free tick nylon for transparency and sales
A minimum of one room or your personal kitchen. Space for making good product must be hygienically clean
Bowl, measuring cup or scale, sieve, table spoon, strainer or colander, perforated frying spoon, smooth clean table, tray, frying pot and cooker or stove.
Doughnut is suitably packed in tick transparent nylon and can be neatly tied with coloured nylon/rubber cello tabe. This is good in a show case of supermarket, school and camping areas. Your nylon can be customized with your name and phone number. For eateries’ supply; it can well be arranged in an air tight plastics or trolley.
Marketing of product is very important commercial purposes, such areas like schools, eatery centers or restaurants, supermarkets or camp places.